The Flashes beat Ohio Christian University, a Division 3 school that had an 18-14 record last year, 100-45, Friday. Last year they lost their exhibition to Division 3 Walsh by 10. So while we can’t draw any great conclusions, we can be a lot happier than last November. Highlights:
1. Jordan Korinek, the 6-2 freshman from Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary had 23 points on 10 of 11 shooting and also had 10 rebounds. She started ahead of the team’s leading returning scorer, Montia Johnson. (Johnson still played 20 minutes and had 14 points on 6 of 7 shooting.)
2. Larissa Lurken, who probably was the team’s most consistent player as a freshman last year, looked as if she had taken her game up a level. She had 22 points, including three three-pointers.
3. The team had 29 assists on 39 baskets (19 on 24 baskets in the first half). They knew their offense.
4. They shot 58 percent. For three years. teams have struggled shooting so much you’d wonder if they could shoot 58 percent in practice.
5. 6-4 center Cici Shannon had 16 points and eight rebounds. Her footwork is supposed to be much improved. I’m not sophisticated enough to pick that ought, but she had zero turnovers in 24 minutes.
6. Freshman Madison Ridout had 13 points and three three-pointers.
7. Kent State guards had 21 assists and one turnover.
8. All nine players who went more than 15 minutes looked as if they could contribute legitimate minutes this season.
9. There were about 550 people there, including a large, loud pep band and more students than I’m used to seeing.